- the national platform for disaster prevention in Germany.
- intermediary to international organisations and initiatives active in the field of disaster prevention.
- a competence centre for all questions of national and international disaster risk management.
- interdisciplinary research approaches to disaster risk management in other specialist sectors as well as in politics and business.
- disseminating the knowledge of disaster preparedness at all levels of education.
- the implementation of existing findings on disaster risk management in politics, business and administration.
- the further development of interdisciplinary and transnational cooperation in operational disaster risk management.
- the development of media strategies to promote and strengthen prevention awareness in society.
General and further information on the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) can be found in the following document.
In March 2015, the Third United Nations World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction was held in Sendai, Japan. There, the "Sendai Framework for Disaster Reduction" was adopted, which provides tools for proactive risk management and aims to limit the impact of natural disasters.
While the previous "Hyogo Framework for Action" focused primarily on disaster reduction, the new framework now goes one step further and provides states, NGOs, and all other actors in disaster reduction with a tool for predictive risk management. With Sendai, the conditions are now in place to significantly limit the impact of disasters until 2030. Since its adoption, the action-oriented objectives of the framework have also been decisive for DKKV's work.